Friday, January 28, 2011

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

I've been very busy lately, rehearsing for my role in the Ann Arbor Civic Theatre's production of the obscure musical God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, based on the novel by Kurt Vonnegut. Book and lyrics are by the late, great Howard Ashman and music is by Alan Menken.

This was the first collaboration between the two, before Little Shop of Horrors, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast made them big stars. Since their names didn't sell tickets at the time and the economy of the late 70s wasn't kind to new shows, the show didn't last long and a cast recording has never been made. Hence the obscurity.


Anyway, I landed the leading role. I usually go after the broader, more fun supporting parts, so this has been a lot of hard work for me. I've grown to love the show and the music, but I also remember what I love about smaller parts.

A few weeks ago, we got this letter of encouragement from Alan Menken himself. WOW. Then, when we posted this promotional video on YouTube, we got an encouraging comment from Howard Ashman's sister. Again: WOW.

Last night was opening night, and here's the review from the local news outlet. Three more performances to go, and then resting.

No comments:

Post a Comment