Friday, July 16, 2010

Princesses of Power #3: Aurora The Sleeping Beauty


The task I set for myself: redesign the Disney princesses as superheroes, drawing inspiration from super-fashions of around the same time their animated movies came out.



AURORA THE SLEEPING BEAUTY: This is the one that really started the whole Princesses of Power idea of matching the super-designs to their time of original movie's release, even though it's also the one that stretches that concept by the longest time. Sleeping Beauty was released in 1959, and it would just be a few years later that Jack Kirby really started popping out radical, cosmic character designs, and I saw an echo of that in Aurora's tall tiara, pointy shoulder pieces, and the zigzag pattern at her pelvis. It was easy to imagine her costume reinterpreted by Kirby, and then I realized it was even easier to imagine the same thing happening to her enemy, Maleficent, The Mistress of All Evil. Even unaltered, Maleficent darn-near looks like a Kirby Creation to begin with (she's not, of course. Credit goes to Disney legend Marc Davis).

As you can see from the corner box, Aurora's costume can change from pink to blue, depending on the occasion. She may be a superhero now, but she is still a princess after all.

MONDAY: Aquatic adventures with Ariel: The Little Mermaid.

4 comments:

  1. I love this one. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. This one is probably my favorite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maleficent is great!
    The Little Mermaid is my favorite movie, don't disappoint me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Let me know what you think on Monday. I hope you enjoy Flounder's makeover too.

    ReplyDelete